We are reopened! Saturdays from 10 AM to 2 PM
CATTLE BEING HERDED DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS THROUGH TOLLHOUSE MORE TO COME SOON
This picture is a horse and rider and two buggies on the old Tollhouse Grade. The grade was mostly single lane and all dirt. In good weather the roadbed would become thick dust and a danger to big wagons and later cars slipping off the edge. In bad weather and mud or snow it was impossible to travel it. The grade was originally built in 1866 by John Humphreys and the Woods brothers as a toll road to haul shakes and lumber to market.
This is the start of the Tollhouse to Pine Ridge car race . The race was held every year from 1910 to about 1935. Pine Ridge was then considered to be the Armstrong Store at what is called today the Shaver Ranch, one mile above Cressman's. Cars ran individually against each others' times because the grade was too dangerous to try to all run at once. The picture is in Tollhouse with the livery barn and hotel on the left and the store on the right.
This is a race car chugging up Tollhouse Grade in the Tollhouse to Pine Ridge race. Each car had two people in it, a driver and a timer. Note the spectators lining the sides of the grade. The race was very popular and drew many people from the valley.
Several arrive at Armstrong's Store at Pine Ridge. Some of the cars are Tollhouse race participants while others are spectators. Due to safety reasons, cars only raced up Tollhouse Grade, never down it.
Old Tollhouse Grade. This picture shows the true steepness of this portion of the grade. Often passengers had to get out and walk because the cars couldn't get enough power to pull the hill. Note the rock holding the car on the hill.
Aerial view of the "new" Tollhouse grade. The top of Sarvers Peak or Tollhouse Peak is visible lower right. Top right is the town of Tollhouse. The two main switch backs are clearly visible. Traces of the old grade cut across this picture from the right middle to the bottom left and are barely visible.
Thanks to Thane "Butch" Baty, we have identified these two women! Cecile Tucker and Helen Croft Marvin , Thane's Aunt. Both were Baptist missionaries. C. 1920
The main building for the Historical Society, the one room school house originally built in 1910 was known as Chenowith School. It was built on the grounds of Wish-I-Ah Sanatorium located near New Auberry. The building was moved to Auberry Elementary in 1939/1940 and used for various purposes. In 1996 it was moved to the Museum site at Sierra High School in Tollhouse, CA The school bell that sits atop the school is from the Academy School off of highway 168